Used from 1928-1950 as the Communion Table Bible, previously preceived as the Methodist Church Bible (3)

Used from 1928-1950 as the Communion Table Bible, previously preceived as the Methodist Church Bible (3)

Used from 1928 – 1950 as the Communion Table Bible

                     History 
         

 

 
 
 
Why do Christian churches value Bibles? Bibles are central to the FAITH and hold the Holy scriptures which are the stories of our ancestors journey with their (our ) GOD, the stories of the messenger in the person of JESUS  and the stories of early day followers as recorded by early writers.
 

Here at St. Andrews United Church are several heritage Bibles. Have you ever noticed the  large red Bible which is always open when you come to worship on Sunday, but suddenly was not here between November 2014 to January 2015? Well, it needed repairs. This Bible was gifted in the early 1960s by the young girls Explorer group. The memories of three of these Explorers  recently,  tell us they once raised enough money as a group to buy , what was then called, a red covered pulpit Bible. It sat on the pulpit and with its very large print was used in reading the scriptures by Rev. Jack Jones. 

In later years it was moved to a special place on the Communion table. Why?  The scriptures began to be read each Sunday from more modern and accurately translated versions of the Bible, and the often smaller book size was more convenient for the clergy’s sermon notes  and the new IPad. Now, the big red Bible has returned, being glued together, to its long standing location. 

But let’s go on. During the past three months a very large and heavy heritage Bible stored in the church archives history room,  came to rest at the front of the St. Andrew’s sanctuary. It was given on January 1, 1910, to the then St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church when that new building (now our present sanctuary) was opened and dedicated. On the front cover is inscribed in gold- ST. ANDREW’S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. Inside the cover on a plaque it reads, “Presented to St. Andrew’s Church in loving memory of his wife by Guy. S. Mayo, Jan. 1, 1910.” This Bible doesn’t appear to have been used until now. It says, “Appointed to be read in churches,” Oxford: printed at the University Press 1890. Old and new testament translated out of the original Greek and with former translations diligently compared and revised by his Majesty’s special command. There is a four page family register for Births, Marriages and Deaths as well. 

Also, in the history room collection, are three more large Bibles. The one, with a beautifully embossed cover, appears to be very well used. Could it have been the Methodist Bible and therefore the one used  used up to 1950s. It was in  1928 when the two churches, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and the 4th Ave. Methodist Church, amalgamated to become one- St. Andrew’s United Church?  Could it have been part of the uniting deal: we’ll use the Methodist Bible and we’ll use the Presbyterian pulpit and communion table? Yes, Bibles are part of history here at St. Andrew’s United Church.

 

This bible is given to the new opened Presbyterian Church on Jan 1, 1910

This bible is given to the new opened Presbyterian Church on Jan 1, 1910

P.S.  Please forward any remembered Bible History you may have to the History Interest Group at. St. Andrew’s.